10 October, 2012

The Fair Town of Fairmount's Fair OR Run, James Dean, Run!

Cool aficionados, that is to say, aficionados of cool, not aficionados who are also cool, are already familiar with Fairmount, Indiana.


For those of us who aren't as cool, Fairmount is the birthplace of James Dean.

Which means, of course, that the Hoosiers will have an annual fair.

Because Hoosiers will take any excuse for an annual fair.

Now, I am pretty familiar with fairs, usually of the art variety. For years my mother has had booths at various Art & Wine Festivals across the west.

Let me tell you something:

This weren't no art n' wine festival.

The first thing we noticed was the parking. Fairmount gets an enormous influx of people for this festival, and their street planning is clearly not ready for it.

I see someone's lawn. Others see a parking lot.

Fortunately, however, the Fair Citizens of Fairmount are ready for it.

I see an empty lot next to their house.
They see an opportunity.
And this wasn't limited to parking. Lawns with strategic locations between the main street fair and the incredibly large car show (don't worry, I'll get there) are clearly aware of their "plight."

Plight: Noun. An annoyance one can turn into an opportunity
to sell crafts to passersby.

As for the fair itself, well, let me start with the first thing I saw:

I giggled at the irony of naming an auto part
after someone who died in a car crash.
Followed by the second thing I saw:

Yup. This was, in fact, part of their parade.
And it wasn't the only one.
The fair was down-home country style all over:

Ah, good. I was worried they'd only have a large tenderloin.

What is a spiral spud?Well, take an enormous potato,
spiral cut it so oil can really get everywhere, and fry it.
Oh, and more giant tenderloins.

Excellent! A "healthy" alternative!
This juxtaposition, however, entertained me the most:

An enormous Avon tent, bringing perfumey smells to the whole block...

Manly man, sculpting logs with a chainsaw.
Bringing sawdusty smells to the whole block...
Normally, I would think these would be at different ends of the fair.

Nope.
Side note: I also saw this tucked away to one side. It made me wonder what this place was like when it wasn't fair time...

This here? It's called foreshadowing for a sequel.
As unsubtly as possible.

But I know why you're reading this post. Particularly you, Dad.

You want to see the cars.

Fine.

I would give this one first place in the whole show.
Seriously.

But honestly, there were a LOT of classic cars, each one more lovingly restored than the last. Which is saying something among ACRES of classic cars.

Let's chronicle my thoughts:

Nice!

Impressive... Good work, here...

Oh, that's neat! They have the matching trailer thing!

Sweet! Something relating to James Dean!
(Note: This is a replica of the car he in which he died.)

Another James Dean... Reference...
....I guess...?

Wow, there are a LOT of cars here....

Oh my god, they just don't end!

Bahahaa! Lookit the tiny neat sportsy thing!

About there was where I may have snapped. I mean, I can admire cars as much as the next guy (well, maybe not JUST as much), but the people behind these have taken it to an art form.

And it really is impressive.

I have much more admiration for people who restore a classic car to the condition these were, then use it as an excuse to get out there, meet new people, and display like the work of art it is.

Because while there were GOBS of these cars, each one, truthfully, was a work of art.

After all, the Louvre is pretty much wallpapered with incredible works of art.
And they're still pretty cool, right?

Before I piss off anymore art lovers by comparing Renaissance masterpieces to restored '57 Cadillacs, I will leave you with a clear sign of my mental state leaving the car show.

For some reason, this entertained me enough to grab a picture of it:

What ARE 'chu gonna do, bad boys, when dey come for you...?
....on their police-issue ATVs?

And yes, he WAS going by at high speed (for an ATV) with full sirens and lights on his way to an emergency.

I guess, in its own way, Fairmount does still breed cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment