06 May, 2013

Magical Book Noir OR The Maltese Wizard

We're gonna look at another book this week. Well, technically a series of books. I recently started reading them courtesy of my local library, and was quite impressed.

They are.....

The Dresden Files


Dramatic trench coat shot
Bringing you quality dramatic trench coat shots since 2000.
Genre - Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:
(From Wikipedia)

"The Dresden Files is a series of contemporary fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago."

Key Point of Fascination - The Variety

The magical and fantasy world has a LOT of aspects to it, as many as there are mythologies. There's vampires, wizards, faeries, mythical beasts, demons, angels, spirits, pagan gods, and multiple version of each of them.

Jim Butcher could have made it JUST about wizards. No one would have blamed him. After all, James Bond deals with megalomaniacal villains intent on destroying the world, why not have Harry Dresden face wizards and wizards only?

Because it would be less awesome. That's why.

Allow me to illustrate:

Blood Rites
Vampires (the emotion kind)

Death Masks
Holy warriors
& vampires (the demon kind)

Fool Moon
Werewolves (several kinds)

Grave Peril
Ghosts

Storm Front
Evil wizard

Summer Knight
Faeries (The scary kind)
And I didn't even go into the sub-plots in these.

My point it that I'm through six books, and every time am impressed by his imagination and creativity. That covers both subject and technique. There's a splendid long-running plot that he resolves in a really creative way. I knew where he was heading, but how he got there was really impressive and unexpected.

I'd say more, but that would only ruin the surprise.

Fascinating Excerpt - The "Tracer Bullet" Intro

Calvin & Hobbes had a Calvin alter ego named Tracer Bullet. He'd launch into a film noire, hardboiled detective case about minor things like solving math problems or breaking a lamp.

As a kid, this was my introduction to hardboiled detectives. When I got older I saw the old movies that introduced me to the real hardboiled detectives, but Tracer Bullet was always the go-to guy.

This is that introduction, from the first book Storm Front:

"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. I’m a wizard. I work out of an office in midtown Chicago. As far as I know, I’m the only openly practicing professional wizard in the country. You can find me in the yellow pages, under ‘Wizards’. Believe it or not, I’m the only one there. My ad looks like this:

HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties or Other Entertainment

You’d be surprised how many people call just to ask me if I’m serious. But then, if you’d seen the things I’d seen, if you knew half of what I knew, you’d wonder how anyone could not think I was serious."


The guy keeps up this style through six books and counting, only improving on it as he goes along.


Recommended for those Fascinated by...

Imagination. Heroes with a past of darkness, instinct for violence, and a heart of gold. People who love Chicago and fantasy, and would love to see the two mixed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment