29 August, 2012

Fortifying Sacramento's McKinley Park OR The Tiny Bomb and the Fishy Lion

Ask most people to name a city in California, and they will immediately respond with either Los Angeles or San Francisco. Then perhaps San Diego, or Oakland, or Malibu, or "That Place Where Clint Eastwood was Mayor."

Stock Yosemite photo
Also Yosemite, which isn't actually a city because it's too awesome.*

Unless they're politically-minded or have family from there, not many will mention Sacramento. Even though it's the capital, Sac unfortunately has to compete with cultural giants (or possibly black holes) that grab everyone's attention.

But enough social commentary. While Sacramento is a story of its own right, it's also a big city, and a little much for one post.

So let's look at one part of one neighborhood:

McKinley Park.

Located somewhat near downtown, this park is quite large. There's a duck pond complete with a fountain. One corner has a rose garden. Tennis courts, picnic areas, a pool, large green fields, even horseshoe stakes (oh yes, horseshoes).

While these are awesome, these weren't what grabbed my attention while walking through the park (very slowly) with my 2-year-old niece.

Adorable Niece
I know, adorable, right?

No, what really grabbed my attention was this thing:

Wooden Playground
Stately Fort McKinley

Here was this enormous rustic, wood playground filled with all sorts of awesomeness. Were I a child, I would have run all over and enjoyed the hell out of that playground.

Since we had a child with us, we did just that.

And let me tell you: It was pretty awesome.

Partway through following my niece in circles (Going down the slide once was unacceptable. She had to go ten times or not at all), I found an informative plaque that upped the awesome ante.

See, I thought it was a pretty neat playground before when I thought it was the result of good budgetary spending.

But it was far more awesome than even I had previously imagined. (What a strange, strange sentence I just wrote…)

Plaque
Where would we be without informative plaques?

In case it's hard to read (understandable, since I shrunk it down), it states that in October of 1994, 2500 volunteers got together in a single 4-day span to construct this playground for children and their community. It also garnered support of several companies (dutifully listed on the plaque).

Say what you want about certain oddities of the playground, that's pretty neat. Before we get too sappy I'm gonna move on, but leave you with these guys:

Lion fish statues
Half lion, half fish... All perfect fort defense animal.

Meanwhile, across the street on the far side of the park, nestled a small english village.

Across the street
Possibly French. Definitely not from around here...

The ice cream immediately caught my attention because, well… Ice. Cream.

La Bombe
Also, how can you resist this?

I mention this particular place for a few reasons:
1) It was a new local business, and I have a soft spot for local businesses.
2) I chatted with one of the owners and he is the ONLY person I've met who once lived in Los Angeles and left WHO STILL LIKES LA. (If you've lived there, you know what I'm talking about.)

And finally, 3) I've never seen ice cream that looked like these:

Bombette ice cream
Over my shoulder are a wife and brother-in-law telling me to take the damn picture so they can eat...

They're a tiny version of a French dessert called a bombe, so they call them Petite Bombes. Layers of ice cream, jam/syrup, more ice cream, on a waffle base.

My brother, his wife, and his niece have since moved (they were right around the corner), but when in town, I plan to revisit this tiny slice of Sacramento with its strong community sense.

…And its tiny ice cream bombs.





*Yosemite picture courtesy www.pachd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment